Friday, March 12, 2010

Did that really just happen?

I was talking with my boss in his office today when one of our coworkers popped in and said "Is that your client in the lobby?" My boss politely responded letting her know that we weren't expecting anyone. She continued to tell us that the man was very handsome and looked like a movie star. I confirmed that we didn't have any movie stars waiting for us in the lobby and naively believed that our conversation was over. I was sadly mistaken. Two seconds later I heard the most ridiculous, offensive words I have heard in quite some time. "I thought I would ask you about him because he is African American." Wow, wow, and WOW. For those of you who may not know, my boss is African American. So somehow this completely ignorant woman assumed that these two men were connnected. I stood there in shock for a minute. Was I dreaming? Had I slipped into another realm where we were suddenly back in 1950? Had I truly just witnessed two human beings being tied together because of the color of their skin? Sadly, I had. As I sit and write this I still can't believe the level of ignorance it requires a person to have that makes them think it's ok to say something like that. People, it is 2010!!! What have the last 50+ years been for if not to make us all equally viewed as people, not colors? Wow. What a disappointing (and slightly even disgusting) experience.

3 comments:

  1. Holy Cow!! That she just assumed that he was there to see your boss and not someone else, that is pretty sad!! What is even worse is that there are still so many people in the world like that today. Truly ignorant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you need to hang out with my grandma! (Or not...you may kill her.) Once my mom mentioned going to a particular IHOP and g-ma said "Oh no...that is the 'black IHOP' we can't go to that one." Apparently segregation still exists in Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW....hmmm sounds familiar...(you have BLACK neighbors!!) aaaahhhhhh!....or, better yet, why cant Kacey find a nice white boy?? HA!! That is just RIDICULOUS!

    ReplyDelete